Tuesday, November 4, 2008

From Longhorn to Red Raider

On Saturday morning, early, my husband was already playing the Tech fight song and school song.  He had Adi practicing the phrase, "GO TECH!"  While this was going on, my parents, who are Texas fans, were on the other side of her showing her how to make her fingers like horns.  It was a back and forth battle all day long.  We got all dressed in our red and black while my parents were dressed in burnt orange.  We were very anxious to leave town and head to Lubbock for the game.  We got there early, went shopping, walked around amongst the craziness, and went to eat at Spanky's.  If you haven't ever eaten there, you need to.  They have really good cheese sticks and fried zucchini.

  Then we made it just in time to see the cheerleaders perform and Adi absolutely loved it.  She even got her
 picture taken with two of the girls.


She loves to dance.  So, when the band started playing, she started shakin' it.  However, she would not dance where we were standing.   She had to make her way to the front of the stage where the entire crowd could see her.


The time finally came when we got to enter the stadium.  I think my husband was beyond excited and nervous.  He has some major Tech pride.  After graduating High School, he went to Tech and walked on to play for them.  He loved it but didn't get a lot of playing time so he ended up transferring to Hardin-Simmons to 
play ball there.  He couldn't sit still and it was so fun to see him so excited.  

I really wasn't sure how Adi would do throughout the game.  She did AMAZING for a 19 month old.  Luckily, we had an open seat next to us part of the time so she had a place to get down and move a bit.  We only had to get up with her one time and walk her around and that was only for pizza!  We played musical arms as she moved from Grandad, to Nana, to Daddy, and to me.


When I was growing up, my parents had season tickets to the Texas games.  I remember wearing my little Texas cheerleading outfit and singing the songs and being fascinated by Bevo and the UT cheerleaders!  I really thought I would grow up and be one (a cheerleader, not Bevo).  I was a Texas fan until I met my husband who is a die hard Tech fan.  I went to a few games with him and even wore red and black.  So, over the past few years I have converted to a Tech fan.  I have been to two Texas vs. Tech games since this conversion took place.  I have found myself both times singing the Texas songs without even realizing it until I am stopped by Bradey.  This has raised a question in my mind lately.  Am I still a Texas fan at heart?  

Overall, the trip was a blast except for the part where we left Lubbock at midnight to drive back to Amarillo.  Thanks to the time change, it wasn't too bad.  Now, for those of you who read this, please pray for me because the moment my husband reads this and realizes that he is married to someone whose heart may still belong to the Longhorns, YIKES!  Things might get ugly around here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment