Tuesday, January 27, 2009

2009 Small Group

The time has come.  Our new small group is underway.  I had mixed emotions about this since the day our first small group decided to multiply.  We had decided back in the Fall that we would split and start new groups.  There were, and still are, so many young couples in our church that desired to be in a small group.  Our group had been meeting every Tuesday for over a year.  We had become very close, almost too close at times.  My husband and I grew very fond of each couple.  We now consider each one of them our very best friends here in Amarillo.  I can definitely say that the Lord spoke through them and the wisdom that they shared with us strengthened our marriage.  I am so grateful for that experience and was very sad and unsure the moment we felt the Lord saying it was time to move on and allow other couples to experience the powerfulness of a community group.  The sadness and insecurities slowly left as I began to trust in the Lord and what He had in store for another group.  

We took a break for a few months and decided we would wait until the first of the year to get another group up and running.  Our church hosted a Group Connect this past Sunday.  This allowed us to meet some other couples and God quickly made things possible.  We met last night to get to know one another.  I was really nervous and I had prayed that God would take all the expectations I had from our last group and replace them with trust and peace that everything is in His hands.  We ordered pizza, visited, the kids played well together, and discussed the structure our group was looking for.  

After everyone left, I felt such an amazing amount of peace and excitement for this new group.  I feel that God has hand selected each couple for a reason that we may not know yet, but I think amazing life changing things are going to take place.  It may not be the same as our first group, but I have no doubt that it will be awesome in so many different ways.  

After sharing all of that with you, we are praying and searching for a great study to start things off.  We are all married, have kids, want to strengthen our relationship with the Lord, encourage others, and create a sense of community that is unbelievable.  If you know of any great books, studies, etc., please send your suggestions my way.  Also, if you don't mind, pray for our group and for brokenness to take place.  We want the Holy Spirit to take over and create some amazing experiences this year.  I want to be completely obedient in what the Lord wants for this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment