Sunday, November 15, 2009

A New Journey

"I remember calling my mother one night explaining my situation and asking her to pray for me. She responded by telling me that God had brought me to this place for a reason and that He was trying to get my attention. The following day when I opened the Word, I was stunned by the scripture 'Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you' (Matt. 6:33). I had read it so many times before but never realized the profound simplicity of the passage. I had become so sidetracked by my own personal challenges that I was constantly asking God to make something happen in my life rather than truly seeking the Spirit of God to empower my life. It was at that point I fell on my face before the Lord with no other agenda than to seek Him.
All this to say that God will often allow us to dig ourselves into our own stress-filled situations while waiting patiently for us to embrace His will first and foremost. And those miserable times become the very vehicle God uses to bring us into a deeper relationship with Him. I don't doubt that God was calling me to trust Him beyond my own comfort zone. Had I not gotten to that low point, I know I could not have come to the place where I would now be able to handle a recent abundance of blessing!" - Christopher Omartian

The above is an excerpt from Stormie Omartian's book, The Power of a Praying Parent. Recently, I have felt the Lord challenging me to intercede for my children. After all, He has given us the authority as parents to intercede powerfully for our children no matter what age they are or whether or not they live with us. After reading what her son wrote in the Foreword about his mother and her many years of praying for him, I was simply humbled and encouraged for many reasons. There was so much truth in what he said just about our personal relationship with the Lord. So many times we are so focused on ourselves and God is simply just waiting for us to seek Him first and foremost. Also, for him to have the kind of relationship with his mother to call upon her when he needs prayer is powerful. I so desire that for my relationship with my children.

I want my girls to know that one of my roles as their mother is to be an intercessor for them. An intercessor is one who prays for someone and makes possible the ability of that person to respond to God. No one else on earth will ever pray for our children with the fervency and consistency that we will as parents. What an awesome opportunity to powerfully affect our child's life for eternity.

So I tell you about my new journey for two reasons:

1) to encourage you to embark on this journey with me and challenge yourself to fervently pray for your children
2) to encourage me and pray for me to be consistent with this wonderful and fulfilling task of becoming an effective praying parent

While it is easy for every mom and dad to have the desire to pray for their children, knowing how to pray for them specifically can often be a challenge. - Stormie Omartian

As I embark on this adventure of praying for my children, my prayer is that I will find it to be an unending habit of my heart. Being able to positively affect my children in prayer will keep me in close contact with them and actively involved in their lives as well as growing intimately close with my God. I pray that it will continually contribute to my joy as a parent and Christ follower!

POUR OUT YOUR HEART LIKE WATER
BEFORE THE FACE OF THE LORD.

LIFT YOUR HANDS TOWARD HIM FOR THE
LIFE OF YOUR YOUNG CHILDREN.

LAMENTATIONS 2:19

If you want to begin this journey with me, leave a comment below so that I may encourage you and pray for you as well!


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Tiffany. I definitely needed a reminder/push to be this intercessor you have written about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if we have already had this conversation or not, but about a month ago the Lord put this on my heart as well. In a different, heavier manor than before. He called me to set apart a specific part of my day for prayer for my children. Even separate from my time of prayer for Brad. It's neat to see the common desire and call on our hearts. How vital it is.... press on, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very inspiring! I have always prayed for Hutton but I never thought of it in this way. Thanks so much for this!

    And if you win we could definitely do a new years card so the whole family can be on there. I also have a place I get them printed that does front and back printing so they look really nice and you can fit more pictures on it.

    ReplyDelete